.24-Hr Emergency Water damage Restoration:
In case of Emergency we are ready 24 hrs a days, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. Do not wait or hesitate to call for a reputable company like, Everest Restoration & Cleaning who is a “Certified Firm” with IICRC. Always provide World Class Services and is “committed to excellence”. It is OK to call a company that you trust, who has the knowledge of dealing with such issue and has the will to help you the homeowner and the resident including your insurance provider. However, we are not some one who dances to the tune of some one else who is least interested in saving your property and health. Ultimately, it is your choice and job to protect your property and health unless specified in your Insurance Policy.
Thorough Extraction and complete Removal of Excess Water:
Thorough extraction or complete removal of excess water is detrimental in water damage restoration. As casual water removal with mop, bucket, Squeegee, Shop-Vac and extraction even with truck-mounted machine with a usual carpet-cleaning wand is not enough. Such, method would do little or nothing as it leaves substantial amount of water in the floor (Carpet and Cushion).
A CRI certified truck mounted machine, other specialty water extraction portable vacuum machine in good working condition hooked to a specialty extraction tool like water-claw (a weighted stationary tool for subsurface extraction), or self-propelled extraction tool is needed. While extracting, occasional test must be carried out to check for thorough removal of the water from carpet and pad. Such care and meticulous water extraction is essential, as physical water removal is 1500 times more effective than water removal with evaporative or forced drying by using Air movers and Dehumidifiers for evaporative drying.
“Let it dry naturally” or “it will dry naturally” has no ground, as bacterial growth will, commence before anything-even starts to dry.
Flooded rug placed on a carpeted room being extracted with water claw –subsurface water extraction tool
Scope Water Damage:
With help of latest and Hi-tech moisture detection tools, we will determine parameters of water damage in the carpet, under the floor system, crawl spaces, in the ceiling cavities, wall cavities, adjacent rooms, and under the cabinets etc. The moisture detection tools include: 1] Hydrosensor; 2) Non-penetrating moisture meter; 3] Penetrating moisture meters (checks beyond 2 inches to 10” with the wall and ceiling); 4] Hygrometer (checks temperature and Humidity); 6] Psychrometric Calculator; and 7] surface temperature measuring tools.
PROTECT FURNITURE, VALUEABLE CONTENTS AND DRY THE STRUCTURE:
Unless the water has affected the home for period more than 60hrs or border line (72hrs) with low temperature of water and ambient room temperature less than 60 Degrees. Our Service Professionals could wipe the furniture feet with cotton towel and move them to a pre-determined dry place after blocking their feet properly with Styrofoam furniture blocks. The homeowner could do so if they can and create space in unaffected areas - rooms or storage including garages. Valuable contents could be moved by the homeowner or by our service professionals to any pre-determined safe (specified by the homeowner) dry location to protect from causing secondary damage and protection from breakage etc.
Psychrometric study of the home:
With help of our Hygrometer (an instrument that measures the temperature and Relative humidity) and find GPP (Grains Per Pound) of moisture contend in the ambient air, due point temperature etc and study psychrometric variables and determine what kind of drying condition is needed to dry the structure and create perfect drying condition by measure grain depression etc. Even make a drying chamber for maximum drying effect. Once you create air movement then you have to control the humidity otherwise the water vapor could travel anywhere and land on any cold surfaces including valuable paintings etc. In other words, the water that was on your carpet or floor could land up in your valuable paintings and other furnishing including behind the other dry areas like walls and ceilings. Everest Restoration & Cleaning will never let that happen to you or your property.
Rapid structural and content drying:
After careful execution of preliminary inspection and scope the job and with your insight information, Everest Restoration & Cleaning Service professionals will determine to create best drying condition and may create a drying chamber. With correct psychometric calculation, we will dry the structure and content approximately in 3 days if not faster. The Carpet and pad could dry within 10 to 24 hrs. The replacement of Carpet and pad is determined by 1) age of the carpet, 2) condition of the carpet, 3) how long the carpet was exposed to water, 4) and the category of water to which it was exposed. In IDEAL conditions, a water-damaged home dries in just 2 & 1/2 days. However, Class III and Category I water damages could become very complex with multi-layered floor or ceiling system and not to mentioned about the insulated wall, ceiling, and floor etc could definite take longer time to dry, and may involve some demolition of damaged building materials.
The whole idea of drying a build structure aggressively and rapidly is to do minimum demolition and save money on replacement and rebuilding. However, if we see that some or more demolition is called for, we then will inform the concerned parties within the first or the 2nd day. We assure you that unnecessarily we will not rip of your carpet and tear the wall. On the other hand, we will not try to save the carpet or walls if it not viable or it creates hindrances to the drying process.
The Ceiling simply collapsed
Drying space between the space between the upstairs tiled floor and underside of that floor with desiccant dehumidification and Injecti dry system
In place drying of carpet, sub floor & wood sill plate Specialty drying of plaster wall with sunken wood sill plate
FACTS OF WATER DAMAGE:
Facts of understanding the water damage and finding what industry is capable of drying your damaged home is very important. We must understand the characteristics of water, materials, and construction complexity involved in the particular water damage situation. Stress more importance that water can and will wick up the walls, travel behind the walls, under the base boards, sill plates, floor coverings, sub floors, below levels and surrounding rooms. Water has no shape or color and follows from higher level to lower level, from higher pressure to lower pressure, hotter to colder areas in the form of water vapor. It will also settle at lower level were it could get collected in pockets. Finally, water will go away in the form of water vapor and settle or condensate (colder areas of the home) again in the ceiling or other wall and wall cavities in the confinement of your home.
All your building materials are grown or produced and processed in water. Thus getting the buildings material wet is OK. However, if unattended immediately every passing minute will damage the property further and looses the integrity of the house. As your building materials create a luxurious home for you, at the same time, it not only provides free accommodation but a specialty food source for mold/mildew and other bacterial growth, and in addition, it leads to termite infestation.
Do not worry; your home will dry if we let it dry. Everest Restoration & Cleaning will let it happen in reasonable short period. “Wet always goes to Dry if we let to” by Dewald Vortex drying Institute.
Carpet on the other hand is most porous material, which means it dries fastest thus there, is nothing to worry about the carpet. Industry studies and test have shown that carpet is weakest when it is wet and becomes stronger every time it got wet (if dried without disturbance).
Wood or wood floors are very sensitive, has low permeance, so proper drying is critical. Depending on type of wood and location, it holds up 10% and it is considered dry. Wood could absorb another 5% to 10% without showing any noticeable effects. Within a few days, however, it cannot hold the water any more and it will expand, resulting cupping and crowning. This is very difficult to restore back to normal after certain period. Drying process must be started in an emergency footing.
As such, it is more dangerous than fire damage mainly because it is a hidden damage. In the case of Fire Damage, you see your home is going up in flam or smoke. However, in Water Damage the damages are hidden under - the carpet, sub-floor and its floor systems, wood sill plate, roof and ceiling cavities. On the other hand, the damage would, simply be hidden behind the walls and buildings cavities. Since you do not see the damage, you ignore the fact and forget that the materials would decay.
Also after water damage, it is natural to want to begin cleaning and drying of the home and get back to your busy life as soon as possible. In the middle of all these mess, or simply due to lack of knowledge, misinformation and in order to save some money there is danger of misjudgment in choosing the right company for the job. You might choose somebody who simply does posses any qualified extraction tool, drying equipment or its usage and worse with no knowledge of dealing with such catastrophe accept to some quick bucks. Finally, you might decide to go with a cheap company who would just extract water & leave without attending to your real concerns to protect the integrity of your property. They, instead drying your home, might create secondary damage due to uncontrolled humidity.
Category and Class of water:
Category-1: Category 1 or Clean Water, originating from clean source of water like clean water pipe line or drinking faucet etc.
Category-2: Category 2 or Grey Water originated from purity question able source like washer machine, dishwater, fish tank etc. This type of water is neither considered clean or drinkable but not hazardous to breath.
Category-3: Category 3 or Black water, originated from Sewage backup or runoff water from beyond toilet trap. Even with no debris or fecal mater and looks clean, it is not at all drinkable. These losses are hazardous even to breath. Workers must gear up with full PPE.
Class-1: Small loss affected only part of a room and wet for short period. Water has affected materials that can be dried with slow rate of evaporation.
Class-2: Water loss that affected the entire room of carpet and cushion and water has wicked up the walls less than 24 inches. There is moisture remaining in structural materials like wood. Fast rate of evaporation is needed in drying.
Class-3: Water came from overhead. Ceiling, walls, insulations, carpet, cushion and sub floor in virtually the entire area are saturated. Fast rate of evaporation is needed in drying. May need class four, drying situation at the end of the drying period.
Class-4: Loss involve wet materials with very low permeance/porosity like hardwood wooden structures, floors, sub floor, plaster, brick, concrete, masonry and crawl space. Involve deep pockets of saturation with difficulty to reach areas, which normally require very low specific humidity.
HISTORY OF WATER DAMAGE:
Initially, prime focus, after water damage, is drying the carpet. The task was mostly, carried out by carpet cleaners and later whoever had a little wet vacuum or a Shop-Vac. It was then, assumed that it would take 5-6 days to dry the carpet and pad underneath it. If there was any odor problem, they use biocides and there is little or any concern about MOLD or Fungal growth behind the walls and other unseen areas like sub-floor. Further more many remove the carpet and pad to blow air underneath it or take to a location out side of the home. At the most, with no apparent reason other than carpet getting wet, they replaced the carpet. However, main damage (hidden moisture content in structure) was left untouched.
Since the late 70s, dedicated professionals in the Restoration Industry carried out many research and introduced specialized training, and equipment to the industry. Now we are in 21st Century and we know lot more than just extract water. There is science involved in the drying process after a flood-big or small. We should be able to understand Psychrometrics, apply the readings, and calculate the factors in creating proper drying conditions in every drying situation. Water Damage is an Emergency. Immediately call, Everest Restoration & Cleaning for proper WATER REMOVAL, commence RAPID DRYING PROCESS and proper usage of psychrometric Know How and timely manipulation of drying process. Quick Response will save you time, money, and peace of mind and health for your family and Friends (visitors). Your claims will increase substantially if no prompt action was taken in time to contain the Damage. Learn and study facts of water damage Everest Restoration & Cleaning.
The restoration company or its technicians should have following elements in place at all the time at any give time:
- Specialized Training
- Good common sense
- Hi-tech extraction equipment
- Specialty drying equipments
- Moisture, temperature humidity detection equipment
- Quick critical thinking and decision making
- Follow Industry Standards and proper Restorative Drying procedures
- Access to net working with other companies that could help the job etc
- Show you when it is dry
Mold or Bacterial growth:
Mold and Mildew spores owned the earth before any human’s ancestor were born, including your caves then and homes now. They still flourish. They are not dangerous to us unless they occupy our home and we are exposed to highly infested area for a certain period. However, when we started internal water pipes, build heating and cooling system within our living confinement, and added insulations for heating and cooling of the home. Then we started air tied doors and windows and never opened them to reduce heating and cooling costs and to block pollens and what not. As one of these systems (modern amenities) brakes, water is trapped; all kinds of microbial growths may germinate, colonize, and flourished (reproduced).
Microorganisms will reproduce and amplify and establish colonies under following conditions:
1) Food like organic or cellulose materials including even dirt;
2) temperature, household mold likes temperature around 68 to 86Degrees, there are microorganisms that grow in extreme cold and hot temperatures but they are not our concern as we do not live in such extreme conditions;
3) time, mold starts growing after less than 24 hours and will flourish within 72s;
4) BIG DEAL IS MOISTURE- Microorganism likes moisture without moisture they cannot grow; and
5) Stagnant Air, a place with dark stagnant air is an ideal place for mold to grow. As such, if water damage is left unattended, microorganisms will germinate and amplify. While the amplification will not be immediately noticeable, the greater the length of time, elapsed, greater the amplification. The familiar “musty, moldy or mildewy” smell is a good indicator for established colony as they are releasing their MVOCs (Metabolite).On the other hand, the category of water changes from grey to black due to passage of time and presence of impurities in the material including carpets.
Why you do not want mold in your home?
1. Appearance-Fuzzy growth on the surface of your wall, floors, ceiling and beautiful furniture is not you are looking for and very objectionable.
2. Smell-All microorganism emits MVOCs, which is unpleasant, musty moldy mildewy smell. Some people might even throw up.
3. Decay- Mold is parasitic in nature they digest the host material by feeding on them for nutrient, once they germinate and colonize the material surface they sent their tentacles called hyphae deep into the material. The host material (your home) then starts decaying and finally is destroyed or becomes inhabitable due to structural integrity.
4. Health-According to EPA, “All molds have the potential to cause health effects. Molds can produce allergens that can trigger allergic reactions or even asthma attacks in people allergic to mold. Others are known to produce potent toxins and/or irritants. Potential health concerns are an important reason to prevent mold growth and to remediate/clean up any existing indoor mold growth”. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.
Mold presence in homes receives lots of attention in the media and is growing concern for insurance providers, homeowners, property managers, and restoration companies. Thus, prevention of leak is the key and if there is a leaked response promptly so that you could prevent your home from mold. Moisture in home equals mold. Visit EPA website at www.epa.govt/iaq/molds/moldguide.html. For mold prevention and clean up in your home. It can help you decide whether you can handle the cleanup yourself or call for professional assistance.
Tips: Do’s and Don’ts when you have a flood
1. Keep in mind for any electricution
2. Find and shut off the source of leak
3. Immediately, call Everest Restoration & Cleaning for timely and effective Assistance
4. Call your Insurance
5. Take Video or photo pictures before any work has started and after the work completed
6. Remove small furniture and other items that might get damaged and transfer color on the carpet. Place aluminum foil under the furniture (don’t worry furniture plastic leg)
7. Lift draperies off wet carpet/floors and hang on hangers to the curtain rode
8. Clear Dry/unaffected area for space to store large furniture from the affected rooms
1. Do not ever wait to call for professional help
2. Do not use vacuum unless it is a WET Vacuum
3. Do not place newspapers or other colored items that might transfer color to the carpet
4. Do not use electrical appliances or light switches on wet floor or affect areas
5. Do not go into rooms that has standing water if the electricity is on
6. Do not panic!! Stay calm, damage is already done. Instead, call Everest Restoration and Cleaning
7. Do not lift tacked down carpet, you might damage the carpet. Carpet is easiest material to dry so why worry about it
8. Do not walk on wet carpet more than necessary.
Sewage Backup/Contaminated building Mitigation:
Sewage backup is a Category 3, referred to as Black Water, which is toilet overflow, and other contaminated water entering a living environment. IICRC states “Toilet backflows that originate from beyond the toilet trap are considered to be Category 3 (black water) situation, regardless of visible content or color”. Do not be fooled with clearness of the water as it could carry pathogenic agents including urine, feces, pesticides, heavy metals, and grossly unsanitary organic substances like medical wastes that could be toxic and infectious at times. When you have sewage, back up do not treat them like regular clean water damage. All highly hygroscopic, porous/semi-porous, and absorbent materials including stuffed fabrics when directly contaminated with sewage are unsalvageable and discarded. Maximum care should be taken not to cross contaminate while handling contents, removal and cleaning of building materials, contents and furniture. Pre and post disinfectant should be applied during the high-pressure bio-wash of the entire affected area. Third party clearance test must be carried out at the end of the completion of the remediation work. Microbial growth will be more rapid and eminent due presence of organic contaminants sewage water.
Mold/Contaminated Building Remediation:
According to IICRC S500, “Prolonged exposure to excessive moisture enables microbes to flourish”. Mold and Mildew are one and same name for “microorganism and are an extremely small life form that is visible only under a microscope”. Moisture is the only in key in germination and reproduction of mold spores to colonize and amplify. If you prevent unwanted leaks in the living environment then you prevent mold altogether. However, one mold is present in your home, drying is not enough. Moldy materials must be ether removed or decontaminated. This process is called remediation, which means “to remedy” or “to cure”. Proper remediation procedures will be determined by the size, scope, and nature of the mold contamination. Home must be tested for mold presence and cross contamination by, an IEP and the home must be evacuated until the remediation is complete, and post clearance test is completed. Only after clearance, one should start rebuilding/reconstruction. http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html
Following are EPA for Mold Prevention Tips:
• Fix leaky plumbing and leaks in the building envelope as soon as possible.
• Watch for condensation and wet spots. Fix source(s) of moisture problem(s) as soon as possible.
• Prevent moisture due to condensation by increasing surface temperature or reducing the moisture level in air (humidity). To increase surface temperature, insulate or increase air circulation. To reduce the moisture level in air, repair leaks, increase ventilation (if outside air is cold and dry), or dehumidify (if outdoor air is warm and humid).
• Keep heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) drip pans clean, flowing properly, and unobstructed.
• Vent moisture-generating appliances, such as dryers, to the outside where possible.
• Maintain low indoor humidity, below 60% relative humidity (RH), ideally 30-50%, if possible.
• Perform regular building/HVAC inspections and maintenance as scheduled.
• Clean and dry, wet or damp spots, within 48 hours.
• Don't let foundations stay wet. Provide drainage and slope the ground away from the foundation.
Water Damaged home with 1 inch of Water
Wood floor damage beyond salvation
Moisture content in wood subfloor that needs further drying